Saturday, July 2, 2011

Something New: Make Cheese


Making cheese is something that I have been wanting to do for a long time, but have always considered it to be way to complicated to be worth bothering. That is until I saw this easy-peasy recipe at the Kitchn. The steps can be summed up as follows: slowly boil milk, add lemon, let sit, pour into cheesecloth lined colander, hang in a ball from your sink, go to happy hour, drink champagne, come home, eat cheese. I didn't even need to be there for the majority of it, it was great!

I had pictures of the process but those pictures are in a camera that is now lost at the bottom of a lake. However, my cheese looked exactly like the cheese pictured above from the Kitchn and was incredibly delicious - the lemon flavor really came out nicely. I served it on grilled pizza with caramelized onions, pear, and basil. I used whole milk but I think next time I would up the fat content and serve it as part of an appetizer. All in all, easy to do and will definitely make it again.

2 comments:

  1. Oh no! So sorry to hear about your lost camera. I once lost my keys at the bottom of a lake and it totally sucked!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This does sound easy! I'll have to give it a shot. I also always want to make butter in a mason jar. Have you done that ever?

    ReplyDelete