Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Tote Bags, Get Your Tote Bags Here!

I made myself a new gym bag/tote this weekend. For Christmas I made a pair for two of my friends and figured I needed to make one for myself so that I could match. These little bags are pretty straight forward to make and don't require much time or skill. Here's how to make one in 10 simple steps:
  1. Cut out two squares for the bag.
  2. Clean finish the top edge on both pieces.
  3. Using a coordinating fabric cut out two rectangles 4 inches longer then where you want the bag to hang.
  4. Fold each strap in half and stitch along one short end and the open long end, leaving the other short end open.
  5. Turn the straps inside out and sew the remaining end closed.
  6. Pin the straps to the fabric, I placed mine 6 inches from the sides and two inches from the top, and attach them. I formed a box by stitching along each side of the strap.
  7. Pin the two squares, with straps, right sides together so that the straps on each side are even with the other side.
  8. Using a 1/2 inch seam allowance stitch the two sides together, for extra reinforcement go along the bottom seam twice.
  9. If you feel like being fancy finish off the edges with a zig zag seam.
  10. Turn the bag inside out, push out the corners and VOILA! you have yourself a tote
A picture of my ever willing guinea pig trying out the tote.

1 comment:

  1. Cute! I love that butterfly fabric! I actually bought some for my mom off Etsy, as they didn't have the pink version when we bought the green version, and she really loved it.

    So, the answer your questions about eBay: I've found it's relatively easy and I haven't had any problems so far. I also think I get more money for my clothes that way than I would if I sold them to a second-hand store. And for books, nothing beats Amazon Marketplace!

    ReplyDelete